|Collection||GHS Scrapbook Collection|
|Title||Front and Rear View of Carlton and a photograph of a stone in the wall at Carlton|
Photographs from Scrapbook 1, Part 1, Page 42
Photograph a: [top] is a photograph of the front of Carlton, located at the east corner of Midvale Avenue and Stokley Street (see catalog number 2012.6.1165). The photograph shows a sweeping expanse of lawn in the foreground. The building is very extensive and appears to consist of a main three story house with a small two story extension to the left and a more extensive two story extension to the right topped by a small square structure protruding above the roof line. Several chimneys are visible above all roof lines. A large overhang is visible above the first floor above the main entrance. Centered above this is a tall arched window with two arched shutters. Many mature trees are visible throughout the property. Records indicate that the building was demolished in 1951. Original photograph year 1903-1924.
Photograph b: [center] is a photograph of the rear of Carlton House. Again, the principal three story main portino of the house is visible, with two two-story extension prortuding on either side. Three dormer windows are visible on the third story roof line. There is a formal overhang above the door supported by two columns set on a stone base. Above this overhang is a triangular extension with three windows. A fence with shrubs is visible in the foreground, as are many mature trees. The facade appears to be either stuccoed or whitewashed. Original photograph years 1903-1924
Photograph c: [bottom] is a photograph of a stone set in the wall at Carlton with an inscription (see catalog number 2012.6.42). The photograph shows a cracked stone with an inscription surrounded by ivy. The year 1780 is visible as is additional writing but the full text of the inscription can be found in catalog number 2012.6.42. Original photograph year 1903-1924.
|Notes||Photographs taken by Fred Perry Powers, 1903-24|