|Collection||GHS Scrapbook Collection|
|Title||Bank of Germantown and Rock House (Rear View)|
Photographs from Photo Scrapbook 1, Part 1, Page 9.
Photograph a: [top] is of the Bank of Germantown on Germantown Avenue, below Penn Street. The photograpg shows a three story building of white stucco(?) which appears to be three separate buildings with three separate/distinct front entrances. Each entrance has steps leading to the front door. Two dormer windows are visible on the third floor front of the two right-most buildings. All windows have shutters and Germantown Avenue is shown in the foreground. A pavement rises above street level. To the right is shown a portion of a house fronted by a picket fence. Original photograph year 1859.
Photograph b: [bottom] is a a rear view of the Rock House, located on East Penn Street east of the Reading Rail Road bridge (see catalog number 2010.106.14). The view is from a field behind the house showing a split rail fence and the rear of the house which appears to be three stories with two chimneys visible at the roofline. To the left is a small white building. Many trees are visible surrounding the property. Original photograph year 1859.
|Notes||Copies of original photographs taken in 1859. Prints are from new negatives made in April, 1914 and presented to the Site and Relic Society by Samuel Castner III. The original photographs were made for John Fanning Watson.|